Credit by Exam
Credit by examination provides students the opportunity to receive credit in courses by demonstrating that they have acquired sufficient knowledge of a subject without formal enrollment in a course or study in the classroom. This opportunity is offered only to students enrolled full- or part-time at WVU. The initiation of a credit-by-examination request does not entitle a student to special in-class instruction or tutoring by an instructor. Additionally, a student may only request credit-by-examination two times for a given course and a photo identification card is required at the time of the exam.
Credit only (not a grade) will be awarded for the successful completion of examination with a grade of "C" or higher, which is equivalent to 70% or better in scores of the exam. Each exam is a two-hour comprehensive exam on the material required for the course.
Courses Available for Credit by Exam
- MATH 121: Introductory Concepts of Mathematics
- MATH 126: College Algebra
- MATH 128: Plane Trigonometry
- MATH 129: Pre-Calculus Mathematics
- MATH 150: Applied Calculus
- MATH 155: Calculus 1
- MATH 156: Calculus 2
- MATH 251: Multivariable Calculus
- MATH 261: Elementary Differential Equations
- MATH 343: Introduction To Linear Algebra
Who can apply?
For first-time, incoming freshman: Apply to take Calculus 1 or Calculus 2 (for Math 155 and/or 156) Credit by Exam online. Dates will be June 6, June 27 and July 18. There will be a small charge (< $20) for taking the test. Please fill out this form.
All other students may apply to challenge a course for credit by examination if:
- The student's official record does not show credit for the course (i.e., any grade of S, P, A, B, C, D, or I).
- The student is not officially enrolled in the course at the time of the examination (A student who withdraws from the course after the end of official registration period is officially enrolled in that course until the end of the semester and not eligible to take that course during that semester.)
- A grade of "F" has not been recorded on the student's record within two calendar years of the date of the examination.
How to Apply
Visit the Eberly College Office of Academic Affairs in Colson Hall Annex, or call 304-293-7476.
According to the current college regulations, any student who wants to take credit by exam MUST register before taking the exam. There will be no exceptions.
After registration, you will receive an "Application for Credit by Examination" form on which the subject of the exam will be indicated. Bring this form to Dr. Hong-Jian Lai in 320A Armstrong Hall or send the form electronically email@example.com at least one week before the exam day so that an exam on the right subject will be prepared for you. A WVU photo ID is required at the time of exam.
The credit by exam will be given only three times each year: in the spring semester on the last Thursday of April, and in the summer semester on first Thursday of August, and in the fall semester on the second Thursday of November. The exam time will be from 3:50-5:50 p.m. on the exam day, and the exam room is to be determined. Students registered for the exam will be notified of the exam room the week before the exam day after they submit the registration form to the math department. Students must present a valid WVU photo ID before taking the exam and are required to adhere to the University's standards of academic integrity.
- No CAS capable calculators are permitted in any exam.
- MATH 121: Introductory Concepts of Mathematics – scientific calculators permitted
- MATH126: College Algebra – scientific calculators permitted
- MATH 128: Plane Trigonometry – TI-84 is recommended
- MATH 129: Pre-Calculus Mathematics – No calculators permitted
- MATH 150: Applied Calculus – Graphing calculators permitted
- All exams for Math 155 or higher do not permit calculators.